Sunday, October 7, 2012

Amber and Matt September Date Summary

I didn't realize it was the 7th today! I saw the post from Penelope and Morty and it was a good reminder! 

I am bummed I don't have a picture from our September date.  We attended a dinner/ banquet for our adoption agency.  We received an invitation in the mail to the 120th anniversary celebration of the agency.  The invitation stated in honor of two families for their dedication / service, a woman who was receiving the first lifetime achievement award, and all adoptive families. 

When I saw that, I thought it might be fun for us to go.  It was a dress up thingy and I love dress up thingys when I can find something to wear.  I am fortunate enough to have some fashionable friends who let me borrow clothes that are more stylish than anything I have.  I thought we looked super cute (okay, super hot) but didn't take any pictures.  I don't know why- that is so not me.  I think I was just feeling that Matt gets tired of me always having people take our pics.   A photographer at the  event was taking pictures and took one of us.  I was so bummed that it was not one of the ones they posted on the site post event.  Maybe we were just too hot for it or something.

Anywho- this was on a Sunday night.  We sent B off with a grandma and headed to West O.  Cocktails started at 3:30 (Really?? On a Sunday???) so we planned to arrive around 4:30 with dinner being at 5:30.  Since Matt had to work that night, he enjoyed a pepsi while I had wine.  We walked around / stood around enjoying our hors d'oeuvres and not knowing anyone.  We hoped that our caseworker would be there and she arrived shortly before dinner.

We were assigned to table 31 and the people we sat with were interesting.  One couple was very nice and best friends with the woman receiving the Lifetime achievement award.  They were very happy for her.  The other two couples were an adoptive family.  It was the adoptive parents and the grown adopted child and her husband.  They had some interesting comments once they found out we were a "waiting family".  Bordering on the line of tacky comments. :)  Oh, the joys of infertility.

Our caseworker also sat with us so it was nice to catch up with her as well.  She has just recently returned to work following a battle with cancer.  Fight hard girl!

As we sat there during the presentation, I thought to myself that I could do this every week.  I could get dressed up and attend different banquets.  Even though they can sometimes be boring, I love the yummy food served to me, meeting new people, and looking pretty!  I'm not sure Matt would feel the same way about attending random banquet events however!

I did find it really interesting and enjoyed learning some new things about our agency that I was not aware of.  It was neat to see the families/ woman who were honored and the service they provide.  I am proud to be a part of our agency and can't wait until we are able to be an advocate for adoption.

After Dinner, Matt won the floral centerpiece for having a birthday just a few days previously and let the girl with no filter take then home.  We hopped in the car and stopped at grandmas to pick up our favorite 7 year old and called it a night!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!